Monday, July 25, 2011

A wee sweet spot in Hell's Kitchen

It’s true. I’ve been a little obsessed with Ben & Jerry’s this summer. I’ve never even been a huge ice cream person but for some reason, I can’t get enough. So far, I’ve sampled:

Mission to Marzipan
Clusterfluff
Karamel Sutra
Oatmeal Cookie Chunk
Peach Cobbler
Maple Blondie
And, as of this past weekend, Cinnamon Buns.

So consumed I am by Ben & Jerry’s that when I buy a pint, I eat the whole thing. I literally can’t stop. It’s bad, very bad. Because it’s so damn good.

And now there’s a new threat in my world. It’s a sweet little shop in the middle of nowhere—i.e. right around the corner from my office. It’s called je & jo.

Similar to Ben & Jerry’s, je & jo was started by two ice cream fanatics who have excellent principles and even better taste. And a love for cookie dough in their ice cream.

Everything at je & jo is made by hand in their little Hell’s Kitchen spot and then peddled around town on tricycles. They use fresh ingredients, as locally sourced as possible. They even use wind power for their kitchen and package the ice cream in compostable sugarcane fiber cups.


But at the end of the day, it’s all about the ice cream. je & jo do not disappoint.

As with Ben & Jerry’s, I am quite sure I will make my way through their roster of flavors: Coffee ice cream with spicy chocolate cookie dough… cardamom ice cream with snickerdoodle cookie dough… lemon ice cream with ginger molasses cookie dough…. Peanut butter ice cream with peanut butter cookie dough…

But I had to start somewhere. So I started with cinnamon ice cream with oatmeal raisin cookie dough.

The top was creamy and melty.

The first bites, spicy and sweet…

And then, woah, what’s this?

It’s the cookie dough. Buried like treasure.


Good to the last lick.

As this new obsession inevitably continues to run its course this summer, I'll keep you posted on the other flavors...

1 comment:

Je & Jo said...

Thanks so much for the great post Amy. We are glad you enjoyed our product! Stop by any time!