Monday, August 04, 2008

The mixing bowl: Alison Nelson


I've been a fan of Alison Nelson's chocolates since I tasted her peanut butter caramel Retro Bar. Dee-lish. But now that she's moved the original Chocolate Bar from the West Village to my 'hood, the East Village, there's some fresh sampling to be had.

Growing up, my favorite sweet was:
Charleston Chew

My favorite sweet now is:
PBJ Truffle

My personal favorite from Chocolate Bar:
Spicy brownie with vanilla gelato.

What I love about the East Village is:
It’s still funky and a little bit edgy.

Truffles or pralines:
Pralines, if done well.

White, milk or dark:
Dark

Caramel, ganache or cream:
Ganache

The perfect pairing:
An americano with salted caramel truffles.

I'd love to create a flavor for:
Dolce & Gabbana. I own nothing of theirs and would never qualify to wear anything of theirs. But I love their style, the risks they take and their overall brand.

Kitchen essentials:
Whisk, scale, measuring cup & spoons, and a saucepan.

Style essentials:
Great-fitting jeans, wife beaters and ballet flats.

Chocolatiers I admire:
Gustaf Mabrouk, Ilene Shane, Andrew Shotts.

I'm most inspired when:
I walk my dog in Chelsea early morning or late night. My brain clears out and just goes into dream/creative mode.

How much is too much?
Cheese only belongs with chocolate if it’s chocolate cheesecake.

Favorite movie snack:
Junior Mints

Guilty pleasure:
Guinness with peanut butter and dark chocolate on toast.

Other favorites:
Right now, loving the Flobots and the new Cold Play CD. Elliot Smith and Cake are my all time favorites though. Can’t live without pasta, hot pastrami on rye, or cheese. Favorite books are The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald and Ham on Rye by Bukowski. Favorite movie is Breakfast at Tiffany’s. And I am totally guilty of watching America’s Next Top Model with my kids (ages 5 and 2).

No comments: