Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The mixing bowl: Kelli Bernard


Amai Tea & Bake House landed in my neighborhood last fall. Which is a good and bad thing. It's good because Kelli Bernard and her crew are super friendly and talented... which is bad because it's way too tempting to stop by for a morning croissant, afternoon cupcake or anytime brownie.

Growing up, my favorite sweet was:
Brownies. Rich, dense, chewy chocolate. It can’t get any better than that as a kid.

My favorite sweet now is:
Anything that someone else makes for me. And brownies.

My personal Amai favorite:
In the morning, it is our chocolate and walnut scone. In the afternoon, it’s our matcha (green tea) cupcake. Many people think that the green tea cupcake has chocolate and/or food coloring in it, which isn’t true. The cake and buttercream are flavored entirely with a really nice matcha.

What I love about Gramercy is:
The people. Everyone is so down to earth and friendly, and they really appreciate quality. It has a very neighborhood feeling to it. Many residents have lived in the area for 10+ years, and there is a wide range of ages and types of people that come in the store. The East and West Villages get a lot of attention, which draws tourists, but Gramercy is for the locals.

Truffles or pralines:
Truffles

White, milk or dark:
Dark

Caramel, ganache or cream:
Ganache

The perfect pairing:
Malty assam tea and a plum almond tart.

I'd love to create a flavor for:
Kids. Most Amai customers are adults, and it would be fun to spend some time making all-natural sweets for children.

Kitchen essentials:
Bowl and bench scrapers and, of course, a Kitchen Aid (6qt+).

Style essentials:
Simplicity. Clean lines and smooth edges. Natural materials.

Pastry chefs I admire:
All pastry chefs who start their own business.

I'm most inspired when:

I have slept a full 8 hours.

How much is too much?

Always leave wanting more.

Favorite movie snack:
Kettle corn. I love sweet and salty.

Guilty pleasure:
Chikalicious Dessert Club’s S'mores cupcake. It is one of the best I’ve ever had!

Other favorites:
My favorite city is Lucerne, Switzerland. Lakes, hills, charming streets...it’s so relaxing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

choc and walnut scone? first time hearing it and i'm already mouth watering... sounds yum.