Sunday, January 24, 2010

The incredible, all-too-edible, cakes of Lille, France (part I)

Pierre, Gerard and Arnaud, eat your hearts out.

I trained up to Lille, in north-northeast France and discovered Paris isn’t the only place where patisserie is prized. I was dazzled by cakes at every turn.

I sought out Meert, a celebrated and historic tea salon. Sure, the millefeuilles, rochers, operas, baba rhums, tarts, muffins and cakes looked good.





But then I kept exploring. Besides Patrick Hermand, Aux Merveilleux and Luc Olivier, I discovered Patisserie Charle.

Incredible creations of pineapple and coconut, pears and salted caramel...

...apricot and pistachio, vanilla and raspberry...

white, milk and dark chocolate...


Too much beauty and temptation for one day.

6 comments:

The Paris Food Blague said...

gorgeous....i haven't yet been to lille, but would love to explore.

a bientot!
The Paris Food Blague

MrsLavendula said...

ok, now my sweet tooth is bugging me!

Sweet Freak said...

Yes, it was pretty incredible and delicious - a dangerous place for Sweet Freaks.

nycstylelittlecannoli said...

What amazing desserts! Really works of art....looks fantastic!!

http://nycstylecannoli.blogspot.com

Angélique said...

N' hésitez pas à y faire un petit détour, ces gâteaux sont excellents.C' était le pâtissier de mon mariage et mes invités s' en souviennent encore.
Allez y, goûtez, vous ne regretterez pas !!!!

art et création un style de vie said...

belle boutique et tres belles patisseries..