Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Mini red velvet bundt cakes

There I was in Harlem. Within three blocks of Make My Cake, which I had wanted to visit ever since Mitchell introduced me to their moist and amazing cupcakes. For over two years the memory of the dense, spongy cake and sweet (but too much so) frosting had haunted me. And there I finally was—an egg toss away.

The thing is, it was 9 in the morning. Would it be hideous to start my day with a 400-calorie sugar bomb? Maybe. I went in anyway.

I was charmed by the pink and exposed brick walls and tempted by the display cases. Trays of cupcakes: chocolate cake with vanilla frosting, yellow cake with chocolate frosting and, the prizewinning red velvet cupcakes, with or without crushed walnuts on top.




Giant three-layer cakes beckoned, too: yellow with strawberry frosting, German chocolate, double chocolate, carrot cake. Plus, cookies and pies and puddings.

But then a little number caught my eye and I knew I’d found breakfast: the red velvet mini bundt cake.

It was the same delicious red velvet cake the bakery’s known for. Springy, even in this novel form, and a titch chocolaty. Instead of a thick cloud of frosting, it was delicately drizzled into ribbons of sweetness.

Was it the healthiest way to start my day? Of course not. Were the hundreds of calories worth it? Hideous. But, yes.

3 comments:

MrsLavendula said...

oh gosh that red velvet bundt cake looks irresistible!

Kat said...

That red velvet bundt cake is right up my alley. Why didn't anyone else think of that before? And the frosting on top made me drool. YUM!

The Chickenless Chick said...

If I had a cupcake for every time I've had breakfast at a bakery... oh wait.

;) Looks totally drool-worthy! Love the frosting ribbons.