Sunday, September 05, 2010

Banana Twinkie craziness, delivered fresh from Tokyo

“My friend went to Tokyo and all I got was this exquisite box of the silliest, yummiest, most original treats ever.”

Mel spent two weeks touring Japan. Knowing my predilections for sweets, and being the amazing friend that she is, she brought me back this big, gorgeous box of “Tokyo Banana”, little cakes filled with banana custard. Banana Twinkies!

As tempting as the promise of diving into small spongy cakes, piped full of thick banana custard, it was nearly impossible to open this box. Regard, the beauty! The detail!

The funny Japanese-English translations!

Something this lovely shouldn’t be disturbed… should it?! Of course, it should.

I carefully unwrapped the paper to reveal yet another exquisite box.

And with bated breath, I went inside. Eight! Individually! Wrapped! Funny! Little! Treats!

My enchantment deepened when I opened one and pulled out an itty-bitty tray that cupped a Tokyo Banana. Indeed, I was socked in the face with the scent of banana.

(Hello, you.)

Paler than the golden Twinkie, but the first bite revealed it to be denser, finer and more delicate, too.

And the custard is thick, creamy and banana-y.

Banana = the taste of home. Yet this one, so foreign and exotic.

Bite by bite, I made it disappear.

One down, seven to go.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

How cute is that!! I've never heard of them. enjoy!!
~Dianne~

Parisbreakfasts said...

Everything is crazy from Tokyo...
I mean in a good way
They let creativity sit in the driver seat.
FUN!

Anonymous said...

Hostess has just re-released the "original" Banana Twinkie and it is amazing! Wonder how it compares?

Jose Thawngzauk said...

Hostess has just re-released the "original" Banana Twinkie and it is amazing! Wonder how it compares?