Emily Luchetti, pastry chef and lucky author of such books as A Passion for Desserts and A Passion for Ice Cream, is having an ice cream sandwich creation contest. It got me to thinking about the possibilities… all the wild, wonderful, over-the-top possibilities. No wonder she wrote a book about it.
Since I don’t really bake, I drew inspiration from my favorite New York and San Francisco cookies and ice cream. The more I thought about it, the harder it became to pick just the right combination. But I think I have some winners. In order from most refined to the most ridiculous, here are my 11 submissions to the contest:
• Il Laboratorio del Gelato lavender gelato sandwiched between two light, airy sugar cookies.
• Ruby & Violette champagne strawberry chocolate chip cookies sandwiching tangerine sorbet.
• Jacques Torres double chocolate chip cookies sandwiching raspberry sorbet.
• Tarallucci e Vino pignolli cookies with vanilla rum gelato and a swirl of caramel.
• Two macadamia and white chocolate chip cookies, sandwiching Grom gianduja ice cream.
• Salted caramel ice cream from Bi-Rite Creamery in between two thin, crisp ginger snaps.
• This Chick Bakes vegan ginger molasses cookies with rum raisin ice cream.
• Bi-Rite Creamery roasted banana ice cream with a spoonful of Nutella, sandwiched between snickerdoodles.
• Chocolate peanut butter chip cookies sandwiching Bi-Rite malted vanilla with peanut brittle and milk chocolate pieces ice cream (hurt me).
• A chocolate chip whopper—either the walnut chocolate chip cookie from Levain or the wheatgerm chocolate chip cookie from Specialty’s—with the middle scooped out, an oversized dollop of toasted walnut gelato dropped in, and then the cookie bit placed on top again, like a dainty little chapeau.
• Momofuku compost cookies (pretzels, chips, coffee grinds, toffee bits, chocolate chips) sandwiching Ben & Jerry’s triple caramel chunk ice cream, dipped and frozen in chocolate.